Cedar Log Homes in Greenville, ME & Throughout New England
Why Build with Cedar?
- Moosehead Cedar Log Homes chooses materials from the finest White Cedar stands in the northern regions surrounding Maine. Our logs are selected, inspected and held to a quality standard that only cedar can attain.
- Due to its slow growth characteristics and tight growth rings, White Cedar is one of the most dimensionally-stable and durable woods on the planet – making it the ideal choice for log home construction.
- According to the United States Department of Agriculture, White Cedar is considered the wood of choice where a high degree of durability and resistance to the elements is necessary.
- White Cedar has a minimal amount of sapwood (approximately ¾ inch on a 10 inch diameter log). By removing the sapwood during the sawing and peeling process, you remove the part of the wood that discolors and decays – leaving you with a log that will last for generations.
- Rated at over 1.4 R factor per inch, the insulation factor of White Cedar is among the highest of any wood species.
- White Cedar contains natural oils and preservatives within the tree which makes it one of the most insect-repellent of all wood species. Its closed cellular structure inhibits mold and mildew, which can attack and decay many other types of wood – such as pine.
- Naturally environmentally safe for you and your family.
- Our White Cedar logs are air dried for approximately six months to properly balance the moisture content, minimizing any warping or shrinking.